The Political and Current Affairs Society (POLITICAS) aims to bring together young like-minded NJCians with a passion for politics and current affairs. NJC POLITICAS will provide formal training for *Model United Nations Conferences, as well as conferences such as the Singapore Model Parliament and Model ASEAN.
The society serves as a platform for students to discuss local and global affairs on a deeper level.
CCA sessions encourage members to think critically and quickly on their feet, in tandem with the 7 thinking dispositions model, with added emphasis on the disposition of being broad thinking and adventurous, to be intellectually careful, have sustained intellectual curiosity, plan and be strategic. Members will be confident and articulate speakers.
*The Model United Nations (MUNs) is a simulation of a real United Nations (UN) conference where participants role-play as diplomats representing member states on issues which the UN discusses. The participants debate in a simulated session of an organ (committee) of the UN, such as the Security Council or the General Assembly.
To provide students with the opportunity to meet like-minded peers who are passionate about political and current affairs.
To develop students who are informed of and can think critically about political and current affairs, on the domestic and international front.
To develop confident NJC students who are able to express their views clearly, concisely and coherently to an audience.
To contribute to a lively and joyful environment in NJC by engaging in meaningful discussions on political and current affairs.
Roadmap for 2016
Theme for 2016: Human Rights, Defence & Security, and Demography, Culture & Society.
- The inaugural National JC Model United Nations (NatMUN), 2016, which introduces the NJC community (amateurs and veterans alike) to the amazing world of MUNs (https://nationalmun.wordpress.com/ ).
- Continual active participation in Model United Nations (MUNs).
Notable Achievements / Accolades:
- Tay Hong Yi - Best Opposition Parliamentarian, Singapore Model Parliament 2014
- Manfred Kwek- Best Delegate (DISEC), Dunman High ASEAN Plenary 2014
- Jodie Kwan- Honourable Mention (Present Council), MES 2014
- Ishin Tee - Honourable Mention (Economic Development Council), DHAP 2014
- Nabilah Bahrim - Verbal Commendation (GA), International Model United Nations Conference 2014
- The annual Emerging Markets Challenge held in conjunction with the Ministry of Trade and Industry – members have the opportunity to interact with directors in the ministry, from the designing of case studies to the final execution of the event.
- Fireside Chat Series: Past speakers include NUS Prof Bilveer Singh on “GE 2015”, NUS Prof Chua Beng Huat on “Alternative History: Post-SG50”, MND Economist Tan Shin Eik on “Planning for Singapore’s Future”. Upcoming speakers include poet & top civil-servant Aaron Maniam on “Poetry is a luxury we cannot afford(?)” held in conjunction with the English Department (General Paper), an analyst from the World Bank, a scholar from the Singapore Police Force, to name a few.
- Current Affairs Quiz for the JH cohort, held annually.
- A new current affairs publication entitled “Globe”. The first edition covers three broad themes - Human Rights, Defence & Security, and Demography, Culture & Society.
… to name a few initiatives.
Visit our website to stay connected: https://sites.google.com/site/njcpoliticas13/home
If you would like to be a part of our CCA or know more about our CCA, please feel free to contact any of our teachers-in-charge: